
What to know about a deadly attack by teen gunmen on a San Diego mosque – Image for illustrative purposes only (Image credits: Pexels)
San Diego – Police responded within hours to a mother’s urgent warning that her son had taken her guns and vehicle while in a suicidal state, only for the situation to escalate into a deadly attack at the city’s largest mosque. Two teenagers, ages 17 and 18, opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday, killing a security guard and two other men before turning their weapons on themselves. Authorities are treating the incident as a hate crime after uncovering evidence of generalized hateful statements by the pair, though no specific threat to the mosque had been reported beforehand.
The Rapid Search That Preceded the Violence
The mother contacted authorities around 9:40 a.m., describing her son as suicidal and noting he had left with her firearms and car. Officers quickly learned the 17-year-old was wearing camouflage and traveling with an acquaintance, details that shifted the response from a welfare check to an active search for potential danger.
Police deployed automated license plate readers and sent units to a nearby shopping mall while also notifying Madison High School, where one of the teens was enrolled. They were still speaking with the mother about possible locations when calls came in reporting gunfire at the mosque. A landscaper nearby was shot at but escaped injury, and the gunmen were later found dead inside a vehicle stopped in the middle of a road a few blocks away.
Signs of Hate Rhetoric Surface in the Probe
Investigators found no direct threat targeting the Islamic Center of San Diego, yet they recovered evidence that the teenagers had expressed broad hateful views. Police Chief Scott Wahl said the shooting is being investigated as a hate crime, though he withheld further details pending additional review.
The mosque, a white building surrounded by homes, apartments, and Middle Eastern businesses, serves as a hub for interfaith activities. Earlier that day a group of non-Muslims had been touring the facility to learn about Islam, according to Imam Taha Hassane. The center also houses the Al Rashid School, which offers Arabic and Quranic classes for children as young as five; no students were harmed, and they were safely evacuated while holding hands under police escort.
Security Guard Credited With Limiting the Damage
One of the victims has been identified by family friends as Amin Abdullah, a security guard whose actions helped contain the attack. Chief Wahl described Abdullah’s role as pivotal, noting that his efforts likely prevented additional casualties at the busy religious site.
Shaykh Uthman Ibn Farooq, who spoke with Abdullah’s son, recalled that the guard had chosen the job specifically to protect the innocent. “He wanted to defend the innocent so he decided to become a security guard,” Farooq said. Wahl later called Abdullah’s conduct heroic during a news conference, emphasizing how quickly the situation could have worsened without his intervention.
What Remains Under Investigation
Authorities continue to examine the teenagers’ movements, their relationship, and any online activity that might clarify the motive. The fact that one boy’s mother had already flagged his mental state and access to weapons has prompted questions about how such warnings are handled in real time.
Names of the other two victims have not been released, and the full scope of the hate-related evidence is still being assessed. Community leaders at the mosque have focused on supporting families and maintaining normal operations in the days ahead.


